datafile removal

From: Kevin Kirkpatrick <kjk_at_hrb.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:32:33 -0400

I was wondering what would happen if I went to remove one of the two datafiles from my tablespace? Is this safe, meaning that Oracle will move data from one datafile to the other one and then remove it? I am not exactly sure what the advantages of having two datafiles are, I guess you could shut one down while the other is online but what is the point of doing this? Is there a way that you can control what goes into a particular datafile? If it is possible to shift a table or something like that into a datafile, then I could see the point. Can that be done?

Thanks
Kevin Received on Mon Sep 21 1998 - 14:32:33 CDT