Newbie ? - Howto pass table name to lower PL/SQL proc

From: Brian Richardson <RichaBK_at_kscgws00.ksc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:22:09 -0400

Hi all,

I am using Netscape/PC/Win95 client, PL/SQL, Oracle v7.3.x.

I am writing procedures to dynamically create web pages and allow the user to extract/update data in an Oracle database.

I am trying to figure out how to pass a table name, (selected by the user in a top-level procedure) to a lower level procedure which will perform the UPDATE of the database.

I am successfully passing the table name through a parameter list to the Procedure as follows:

PROCEDURE upd_data(

                        arg1 IN varchar2,
                        arg2 IN varchar2,
                        tabl_nam IN varchar2,
                        arg4 IN varchar2,
                        arg5 IN varchar2,
                        agr6 IN varchar2) IS

I would like to use the contents of tabl_name as the name of the table to be updated.

I want to use an UPDATE statement, which I believe would be similar to the following:

UPDATE tabl_nam SET var1=arg1, var2=arg2 WHERE var4=arg4;

I am getting a compilation msg indicating that tabl_nam must name a table
to which the user has access

Do I need any TYPE declarations local to this Procedure in order for tabl_nam to
be recognized as an accessible table?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian R. Received on Mon Sep 21 1998 - 12:22:09 CDT