Re: ORA-03121 Unable to connect to Oracle via ODBC

From: <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:53:59 GMT

Wes Matchett <wes_at_augustschell.com> wrote:

> I have installed the MS ODBC and eliminated the problem.

I also found that Microsoft's Oracle ODBC driver provides pretty decent Oracle support. However, some of my developers had such problems with it, they're now using Oracle's ODBC drivers. I blame VB for those problems and not the ODBC driver... :-)

The nice thing about the MS driver is the ability to set the number of rows per buffer or something. In reality that sets the approximate size of the TCP packets. With the right settings you'll get a good network thru-put with an average packet size close to 1.5Kb. This setting is sorely missed in many other ODBC drivers - including those from Oracle.

> I have been using ODBC for web server access for almost a year now
> with very good performance. ODBC was a poor performer in its infancy,
> but it has become quite stable and able to perform as it matures.

The fact is that ODBC will NEVER be as fast as native database access. Of course, you will get OK performance from many of the new ODBC drivers, but the question are if that is fast enough, and if the API is flexible enough, for real corporate client-server applications.

> We are using it to provide multiplatform server access to a web product
> with success.

Which is one of the better suited environments for ODBC as it does not deal with the same volumes or complexity than OLTP systems.

I'm not saying ODBC is a bad thing. It has its (sometimes pretty useful) uses. But when it comes to serious OLTP (or even OLAP) development, I will be very careful when choosing ODBC as the database interface. Especially when it comes to Oracle.

regards,
Billy