Re: ORA-03121 Unable to connect to Oracle via ODBC

From: <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:35:21 GMT

In article <6tu0q7$9f$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

> > There's a couple of things to remember when using Oracle with ODBC.
> [none of which applies if you don't use SQL*net]

Huh? You ALWAYS need SQL*Net to connect from a client to Oracle (only exception may be when both the client and server reside on the same platform). Or you have to write your own version of SQL*Net. At least you do with the standard client server stuff. Can not comment on the "thin client" Oracle drivers for Java.

Am I correct or do I have hold the wrong end of a bottle of Tennessee whiskey?

> Well, the Oracle ODBC drivers may suck, as you eloquently put it.

Er.. thanks. :-)

> But not
> everyone's do - OpenLink offer a proper multi-tier architecture ODBC and JDBC
> driver, very compatible with Oracle, available for free evaluation non-expiry
> download from http://www.openlinksw.com/ onwards.

Let me rephrase that ODBC sucks. ODBC as database API is a compromise of various features of various databases. It will never and can never be as robust and fast as the Real Thing (tm) - direct native connectivity via SQL*Net, DB-Lib, Informix-Net/Star or whatever.

I've never used OpenLink ODBC drivers and if they work properly as you say, GREAT STUFF! We need more drivers like that. But I for one will not concider touching an ODBC driver (besides SQL-Server for obvious reasons) when it comes to serious client-server development (you so-called mission critical applications). Adding an additional layer under the application just increases the complexity of the application - from installation to support and maitenance.

The "strength" of good ODBC drivers come into their own with regards to ad-hoc use and integration (the phrase quick and dirty comes to mind). When you want to pull data into Excel. Or want to pull some data down into Access for further analysis. But I will be hesitant to use ODBC as the database interface layer for most client-server systems.

IMHO as always.

regards,
Billy