cant find msvcr40d.dll - install problem? mscal.ocx

From: <JohnRonan_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:00:17 GMT

I just installed VC++ V5.0 from the msdn distribution. Things went mostly fine, but when I try to run my application on it, I get: Cannot find msvcr40d.dll

This application uses the CRecordset classes to get into an oracle database. msvcr40d.dll is not, in fact, on my machine. Here's the kicker: it is also *not* on several other machines here, but the app runs fine there. What is msvcr40d.dll?
and...could the following error explain anything? I got this while installing VC++ 5.0:

I got one error in the installation process: UNABLE TO REGISTER C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\MSCAL.OCX What would cause this?

thanks for any help
-j