Transfering data from VB to Oracle In Bulk?

From: Onkar <onkar_at_bigfoot.nospam.thankyou.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:15:54 GMT

I am writing an application where validated user data is created in a VB application. The data is in the form of 15-20 character string. However, there can be alot of it. Upto 20000 items.

I have been passing smaller quantities of this data by building up a comma delimited list and then passing to a stored proc, which parsed the list and updated the appropriate tables.

My question is this. Is there a limit to the size of a string that I can pass via 32bit ODBC to Oracle. I assume I'm going to hit the VARCHAR2 limit on the size of the parameter I can pass to a stored proc.

The app is being written in VB 5 (SP3), running on NT4 (SP3) connected to Oracle 7.3.3, running SQLNET2 32bit.

Can anyone advise of a better technique.

Currently all I am doing is created a record set and issuing an execute.

 sSQL = "begin proc_TabUpdate(" & strDelimitedData & ", " & intItemCount & "); end;"

 rs.Execute sSQL, dbSQLPassThrough

My primary concerns are one of speed and the ability to cope with a growth in the amount of data being passed to Oracle.

Would use of RDO provide any benefits.

Onkar

--

Please remove the 'nospam.thankyou' from my email address before attempting to contact me.