Re: ORA-03121 Unable to connect to Oracle via ODBC

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:21:12 +0200

Wes Matchett wrote in message <36016111.89FD9B6D_at_augustschell.com>...

>I have the exact same symptoms - except the error code is different:
>
>08003 - Connection not open.
>>
>> I got the following problem: I'm unable to connect to my Oacle-Server
>> (physically different machine) via ODBC. Connect via SQLNet works fine
>> (can connect to the DB with SQL Plus etc.) but not via ODBC. Always get
>> the error message (from OBBC-Test, MSAccess etc.) ORA-03121: no driver
>> connected - function not performed (translated from German).

There's a couple of things to remember when using Oracle with ODBC.

Don't mix 16bit with 32bit. For example, 32bit ODBC will not work work with 16bit SQL*Net.

Make sure that the environmental variable PATH points to the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory (e.g. PATH=%PATH%;C:\ORAWIN95\BIN in autoexec.bat). ODBC needs to find the OCI DLLs - and if the path does not say where, it will not find them.

Make sure that the ODBC "system" is installed. If you don't have the ODBC 32bit Admin in your control panel, you can not (I think) use an ODBC driver. You need the standard ODBC suite first and then install your ODBC drivers.

Even then you're not guaranteed that it will work. Thank Microsoft for the inherant instability of Windows'95 that can cause endless problems to application software and drivers. Which usually can only be solved by a format and a clean install of everything from scratch...

ODBC sucks. So don't expect any great performance nor any robustness from Oracle ODBC drivers. Many times they do not even implement Oracle's SQL properly. Real client-server software use a proper NATIVE(!) interface. ODBC is fine for mickey mouse programs. IMO. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Sep 18 1998 - 04:21:12 CDT