Re: Can I query from command line?

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:01:40 +0100

mpir_at_compuserve.com wrote:

> In article <6tlo0m$gbs$1_at_sally.dma.org>,
> wrightm_at_dmapub.dma.org (Mike Wright) wrote:
> > Is it possible for me to write a shell script to query my
> > Oracle db?

> the command would be
> sqlplus youruserid/yourpassword @yoursqlplusscript

Though the above will work, it has all the security joys of anyone else doing the command "ps" and discovering your Oracle login name and password.
To my shame I haven't tried it, but methinks the use of a "here now" document in Unix may be a better approach:

	sqlplus << THEENDOFMYCOMMANDS
	youruserid
	yourpassword
	start yoursqlplusscript
	THEENDOFMYCOMMANDS

Mungo Henning Received on Thu Sep 17 1998 - 08:01:40 CDT