oracle disaster recovery

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1998/09/16

I posted this lastnight but didn't see it, so I'll post it again. I was under the impression that I had to have at least one cold backup to restore a system with the hot backup files. Example.

I'm in archive log mode and I have been doing hot backups daily
I've been backing up my archive logs daily
I've been backing up my control file daily (binary not to trace)
I have a copy of my init.ora

all of a sudden, I have a total machine crash - all drives are "toast", machine is totally gone.
I do NOT have any cold backups - None...

I get my hands on another server.
With the above scenario, can I recreate my instance using only my hot backups.
I've been told I can, but I've always thought I had to keep a cold backup around in case of the above scenario.

Can somebody explain this???

Thanks,
Steve Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT