Re: Help running a procedure on Oracle webserver from browser client

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: 1998/09/14

In article <35FB86D4.248F_at_wxs.nl>,
  Joep Hendrix <joep.hendrix_at_wxs.nl> wrote:
> Scot Balfour wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate any help resolving this integration problem. I have
> > created a package doccntl.basichtp which contains procedures: show,
> > header, body and footer. Procedure Show calls procedures: header,
> > body and footer. There were no errors. I then granted execute on
> > basichtp to public and did a commit.
> >
> > I am now trying to run this package (which displays simple HTP output
> > back to the browser) by pointing my Netscape Communicator 4.05 browser
> > to URLs:
> > http://myserv:8888/doc_control/owa/BASICHTP$.startup
> > http://myserv:8888/doc_control/owa/BASICHTP.SHOW$.startup
> >
> > The browser displays the following error messages:
> >
> > Request failed
> > Error occured while accessing
> > "/doc_control/owa/basichtp$.startup"
> > at Fri Sep 11 16:10:18 1998
> >
> > OWS-05101: Execution failed due to Oracle error 6564
> > ORA-06564: object does not exist
> >
> > PL/SQL Cartridge SERVICE: doc_control
> > PROCEDURE: basichtp$.startup
> > Please try again later
> >
> > The DBA team created a DAD: doc_control and was able to use
> > Designer/2000 to generate a sample form which displays data from one
> > of the tables in this schema. We do not understand what integration
> > is missing for me to run the basichtp procedure from the browser.
> >
> > What components should I inspect and/or change specifically to resolve
> > this error executing the basichtp package from the browser? Thanks.
> >
> > Name: vcard.vcf
> > Part 1.2 Type: text/x-vcard
> > Encoding: 7bit
> Hi Scott,

> It looks like you have not configured the Oracle Webserver properly.
> Another thing I noticed is that you use port 8888. On Unix servers this
> port is used for the admin listener proces (NT uses 9999). I am not sure
> but this might interfere and is definately not a decent way.
>

> Joep

I'm just getting started using Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.1 myself, so the following advice may or may not help. Anyway, you might have a look at the help in the window displayed for the Des2k -> Options -> Generator Options -> WebServer menu item. I'll repeat here briefly what it says about terminology changes between Oracle WebServer and Oracle Web Application Server 3.x. Basically, with Web Application Server Oracle has separated the DAD from the PL/SQL agent configuration; with WebServer the DCD (database connection descriptor)is defined as part of the PL/SQL agent. When you access a startup page using a browser and Web Application Server, the PL/SQL agent name is part of the URL instead of the DAD:

Oracle WebServer: http://hostname:8000/my_dcd/owa/startup Oracle Web Application Server: http://hostname:8000/my_agent/plsql/startup

Hope this helps.

Cary