Re: Project Cascade vs Oracle 8i vs Samba?

From: Jeremy Allison <jeremy_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1998/09/14

"Wayne R. Vincent" <wrvincent_at_snet.net> writes:

>Sun's Cascade product is far from vaporware

Oh good - please tell me where I can buy it then ? I'd love to get a *shipping* copy to do benchmarks against Samba.

> and is currently being
>benchmarked in effort to generate a sizing matrix. The sizing matrix
>will give a rough estimate of how many NT servers can be consolidated
>into a single, scalable UNIX server.

I know personally the Sun people who will be benchmarking Cascade. Wait until it's a real product before you say anything.

> As far as inheriting problems or proprietary, Cascade is built from
>MicroSoft's defacto NT standards. And NT 5.0... let's talk about
>vaporware... 35 million lines of it! But yes, NT 5.0 WILL be supported.

Let's just examine this one shall we :

"As far as inheriting problems or proprietary, Cascade is built from MicroSoft's defacto NT standards."

Look up the dictionary definition of "proprietary".

> But yes, NT 5.0 WILL be supported.

How - no access to NT5.0 source code. See:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/zdnn_smgraph_display/0,3441,2128350,00.htm

for details. Now I'm not claiming that Samba will have an easier job of it, but to claim you will just magically "Be NT5.x compatible " is just silly.

> And UNIX permissions? - Why would a Better NT Server relax it's
>security for UNIX users to access files behind the sheets?

Ah - now I *know* you don't know what you're talking about. :-).

> I hope you're not a software developer for the Samba Team. Ashame to
>think you get ALL of the details wrong.

I have been working on the SMB protocol for over 5 years. I have implemented large parts of Samba functionality.

And I can spot marketing 'droids who are just repeating a press release a *mile* away :-) :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.