Re: Need Advice

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/09/14

Hi Francoise,

    My experience with Oracle on NT is that it is a good environment to work with. The one limitation of NT that I found was a lack of a shell. This problem is easily resolved by licensing a package such as MKS Korn shell.

    One potential problem is the reliability of NT under heavy usage conditions. Some users have reported problems while others with comparable workloads have had no problems. In any event if you do decide to go with NT don't try to save money on the hardware.

    We are running both NTs and AIX systems and I have had experience with Suns and Oracle in the past. Of the three environments I rank AIX first, Sun second, and NT last. This is personal preference and YMMV.

    My production NT server has four 233MHz processors, 1GB of RAM, 30GB of disk, dual power supplies, and a UPS able to run it for 20 minutes.Excluding the UPS it cost us $60,000. We do not feel that it is a cost effective machine since we can buy AIX boxes (both new and used with full warranty) for less money and our experience with the AIX boxes has been that they are more reliable.

regards

Jerry