Re: Problems with LONG datatypes

From: David Moles <dmoles_at_ftpoint.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:21:23 -0700

Okay, in case anyone else is having this problem, I've found a workaround. No procedures, just some PL/SQL:

  declare
    insertText long default='[lots and lots of text here]';   begin
    insert into my_table (text) values (insertText);   end;

The basic approach seems to work, though I'm having trouble getting some data clean enough that it doesn't screw up the parsing -- tend to get "Encountered the symbol... when expecting..." errors.