Database Triggers - and changed records...

From: Mark S. Reichman <mark_at_borg.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:57:25 GMT

Up until now we have been writing all of our code within SQL forms. All pre-updates/pre-inserts/post-updates/post-inserts have been done in the form. Well, I have been doing some reading on database triggers. Seems as though any and all pre update and post update actions can be done at the database level. This way no matter what form does the update, the pre/post rules will be adhereed to by database trigger enforcement. Also you only have to write the code once since it exists at the database level. Only one problem with my first experiment. If you change the values of any of the fields within the form with a database trigger the form says that the record has been changed by another user and to requery. How do I stop this from happening? I dont want to have to requery the records each time, especially if I am changing the values of non-visible fields? Do I have these database triggers confused in some way? Should I keep writing all of my pre/post update rules within the form? (SQL 4.5/5.0 forms) It seems these triggers are only good for a few things. Checks on field values and updating other tables dependant on values within the current table. If you update any fields within the current table you are gonna have problems.. (requery messages and mutating table errors).. Whats up with these triggers and what am I missing? Thanks..?

                       -Mark