How to do a keyword search of a column without doing a table scan?

From: Eric Pan <pan_at_part.net>
Date: 1998/09/11

I have a table that consist of a title column and I would like to do a keyword search. For example,

select ID, Title from Books where Title like '%Database%'

However, the search will do a table scan without using the index on the Title column.

One way to overcome this problem is to split all the words in the title column, put all the words in keywords table, index the words column and link to the primary key in the Book table. However, the keywords table will be very large and I need to generate the keywords table again if I make changes to the Books table.

How do I solve this problem? How do I do a keyword search without having to do a table scan?

Please help. Thanks.