Project Cascade vs Oracle 8i vs Samba?

From: Paul Eggert <eggert_at_twinsun.com>
Date: 1998/09/11

On Wednesday, Sun announced Project Cascade, a product that will support NT file, print, authentication, and directory services. Cascade is based on AT&T's Advanced Server, which I've heard Auspex also uses.

The same day, Oracle leaked info about Oracle 8i, which will include an Internet File System (iFS) that runs atop an Oracle engine. (Formal announcement Monday.)

These announcements didn't address one obvious question: what will be these proprietary products' advantages over Samba running atop, say, Linux?
(Clearly Samba+Linux has a price advantage....)

CNET's article on Cascade, and Sun's PR: http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,26154,00.html http://www.sun.com/servers/enterprise/sw/cascade/

InfoWorld articles on Oracle 8i and iFS, by Paul Krill and Michael Vizard: http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?98099.whnorc.htm http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980831.ehoracle8i.htm

IFS home page:
(a shameless plug, but hey, we were there first! :-)
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~stott/ifs/

Samba home page:
http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/samba.html

	A Microsoft official called any attempt by Oracle to position
	databases as an alternative to file systems "self-serving."
	-- Paul Krill in InfoWorld