Free Sys Admin Utility

From: RomeBlack.com <nospam_at_romeblack.com>
Date: 1998/09/11

RomeBlack Distributes ServerSentinelā„¢ A free web site monitoring program for webmasters

RomeBlack ServerSentinelā„¢ is a Java based software application designed to enable a webmaster to monitor any number of servers and ensure network responsiveness 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

This freeware offering guards server uptime by monitoring a specified port at select intervals. When a server is unresponsive, the server administrator is notified immediately via e-mail. RomeBlack ServerSentinelā„¢ then continues to send email alerts at user-specified intervals until the server is responsive.

"ServerSentinelā„¢ was developed because we could not find an easy to use and
light-weight monitor that would e-mail an administrator if a server on our network was down," Dan Schwartz, President of RomeBlack reveals. "We selected Java as a development language because we wanted to be able to run the utility from any machine on our network. It worked so well that I figured why not let other administrators benefit as well."

This fully configurable Java program is an easy and indispensable tool for the webmaster and/or network administrator. It lets them choose server(s), port(s), defaults, set monitoring frequency and target e-mail address for each server for the entire collection.

It can be used on any Java-enabled machine, is compatible with UNIX, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft WinNT, Apple Macintosh and requires Sun Microsystems JDK Version 1.1 or higher. Network access is required for the machine running the software and an SMTP server is required for e-mail notification.

"The program is a godsend for the System administrator who has to look after
several servers," Schwartz says. "Especially when you have to monitor machines in different locations."

RomeBlack ServerSentinelā„¢ is provided free of charge and on an as is basis by RomeBlack, Inc. The software may be freely used and distributed according to the licensing agreement included in the program. No fees may be charged for distribution or installation.

RomeBlack ServerSentinelā„¢ can be downloaded by going to the new Fuel section on the RomeBlack web site (http://www.romeblack.com). RomeBlack ServerSentinelā„¢ is the first of many software utilities and multimedia treasures to be offered to the public free of charge on this special section. In the near future, RomeBlack will be offering an innovative browser plug-in and original sound effects for use in multimedia projects. Received on Fri Sep 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT