Re: RDO vs. ODBCDirect ?????

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_no.spam.iac.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:39:15 GMT

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:05:59 +0100, "Albert Lyubarsky" <albert_at_comtec.co.il> wrote:

>Hi!
>I develop client/server, time-critical application in VB5 and database
>ORACLE.
>I really don’t know which data access to use RDO or ODBCDirect.
>
>Also, I have VB5 Professional Edition, and if I choose to use RDO I need to
>bay Enterprise Edition.
>
>My questions:
>What are advantages and disadvantages of RDO and ODBCDirect ?
>What are differences between them? (May be I can stay with VB5 Professional
>Edition and ODBCDirect)
>
>Thank you in advance.
>Albert
>E-Mail: albert_at_comtec.co.il

RDO is not much more than an object-like front end to the ODBC API calls, which is basically what ODBCDirect is. So, the only thing you would gain with RDO is a little simpler coding.

If your apps are time-critical and only talk to Oracle, you may want to look at Oracle Objects for OLE. You will get even better performance than either RDO or ODBCDirect without having to upgrade VB.

--
Mark Wagoner
To reply, remove no.spam from my e-mail address Received on Thu Sep 10 1998 - 07:39:15 CDT