Re: Rowid question

From: John W. Frank <jfrank_at_icdc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 01:45:50 -0400

My understanding is that changes to the data columns of rows does not change the rowid. As a matter of fact, selecting for update would lock the rowid value for use by others. This is consistent.

However, rowid's cannot be guaranteed to remain the same after the database has experienced massive deletions, export/import, compressions, etc.

Oracle reserves the right to re-allocate space and re-assign its internal numbering however it chooses.