Formatting large text fields in HTML

From: <beyer_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:48:38 GMT

Hi, I have been trying to figure out a solution for a problem that I have been having with formatting large chunks of text from the database onto a web page. Up to recently I was sticking with the server generated tables for the data layout but our clients complained that the text they typed into the textareas of web forms to be stored into the database would come back all pushed together (basically it wasn't using the line breaks to split the lines.) I then took those fields out of the table and put them into <PRE> tags with htp.preOpen and htp.preClose, well that solved the problem with the line breaks anyway. But I found another problem with this, whenever they paste text from a docuement directly into the web form and try to view it it will put whatever they pasted into several very long lines. What I need to know is there an easier way for me to present the data without having all these problems? Would a procedure need to be written to do this, and if so, is there one out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated for I am really stumped on this one. Hopefully this makes enough sense to everyone, if not let me know and I will clarify it. Thanks in advance.

Eb