Oracle backups

From: <gresmi_at_aent.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 17:37:16 GMT

We are researching a backup strategy for an Oracle 8 database that is roughly 20 gig and expected to grow dynamically. We are in the music distribution business (cd's) and will probably need 24x7 availability at least 6 days a week, with Sundays off or low volume. Our hardware configuration is HP 9000 running HP-UX, version 10.10. We have Omniback II available in-house and have downloaded the freeware RMAN from Oracle. Oracle is running in archivelog mode. We are very interested in the possibility of doing hot backups daily during the week and a full cold backup on the weekend.

Assumptions we've made based on information gathered are:

1. Omniback is a dependable product.
2. Cold backups using Omniback are very dependable.
3. Daily hot backups using Omniback are dependable when database running in
archivelog mode and mirroring the archivelog filesystem. 4. Hot backups should be made disk-to-disk and then backed up from tape.

Questions:

1. Are these assumptions correct?
2. How long does a hot backup take to run?
3. Do we need to do any additional in-house development such as pre/post
scripts?
4. Does Oracle's RMAN fit into this scenario? Where does RMAN fit in? 5. Are there better solutions/strategies available?

All responses or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Greg Smith
Alliance Entertainment