Re: A question about error message

From: Alan D. Mills <alanmNOSPAM_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:51:46 +0100

You didn't mention your platform of installation. We have Oracle installed on AIX and this gives us a command line program to look up Oracle errors

e.g. I would use

%oerr ora 2298
 to give the response

02298, 00000,"cannot enable constraint (%s.%s) - parent keys not found"

// *Cause: an alter table enable constraint fialed because the table has
//      orphaned child records.
// *Action: Obvious

and

%oerr ora 933

to give

00933, 00000, "SQL command not properly ended" // *Cause:
// *Action:

As you can see the responses are not always as helpful as you might like but it does save trawling through a manual of error messages.

The first parameter to oerr is the message type. Presumablky it works for other types than ORA but that's all I use it for. The last parameter is the message number with no '-' (minus) sign.

Don't know if this will help but...

--
Alan D. Mills