Re: CHARACTER SET problem

From: Hakan <nvcinc_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/09/08

Hi,

Actually you don't need to create export/create a new database. However you
should be very careful.

You can update database character set settings to WE8ISO8859P1 in the SYS.PROPS$ table.
To change the Oracle RDBMS to an 8-bit (WE8ISO8859P1) database, you must

enter the following command in SQL*Plus as the SYS user: (or in server manager whereever you like) UPDATE SYS.PROPS$
   SET value$ = 'WE8ISO8859P1'
   WHERE name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET’ ;
COMMIT ; Before starting the database instance, if you have a UNIX env. be sure the
following UNIX environmental variables are set:

NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
ORA_NLS = $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
ORA_NLS32 = $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

If you have NT update registry accordingly.

Don't forget to back up your system before you begin any character set changes,
If you like to view the NLS parameter settings, enter the following command:
"SELECT * from V$NLS_PARAMETERS "
Please be sure the value$ you enter is correct. Whatever you typed will be
accepted.
You may be able to shut down the database but cannot start the database!

Regards

Hakan Eren
NVC Inc.