Re: Oracle on Sun Ultra 5 Workstation (or SUN Enterprise 5S Server)

From: Mark Weghorst <weghorst_at_nilenet.com>
Date: 1998/09/08

Christoph Bernhardt (christoph.bernhardt_at_munich.netsurf.de) wrote:
: Does anyone know if Oracle 7 and 8 Workgroup Servers will run on the
: above platforms (namely SPARCS with UtraSparc-IIi processor). We were
: planning to buy a couple of them and to use them as development platform
: for our database applications.

I've personally witnessed 7.3.3 run on both 5/10's. Seemed to work just fine, although I definately noticed the reduced disk I/O due to the IDE disk. Be aware however, that the Solaris license agreements precludes you from running db servers on a workstation license. License upgrades from workstation to server O/S are available. The part number is SOL-DTWG-LU and it's $1795 if I remember right. That's an upgrade from a desktop Solaris license to a workgroup server license.

-Mark Weghorst Received on Tue Sep 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT