Re: Left and Right Joins

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:11:22 +0200

>As I see it, the two examplke below for left and right join are exactly the
>same (to all intents and purposes) so why differentiate between them by
>giving them different names?

You are correct. Both a left join and a right join belong to the thing that Oracle calls outer joins. And indeed the two examples are the same, just to show you where to put the (+) if you see the keywords LEFT JOIN in, for example, an MS Access query:

    from tableA left join tableB on colA = colB

would be

    from tableA, tableB
    where tableA.colA (+) = tableB.colB

whereas

    from tableA right join tableB on colA = colB

yields

    from tableA, tableB
    where tableA.colA = tableB.colB (+)

Arjan. Received on Tue Sep 08 1998 - 11:11:22 CDT