ad/hoc oracle installation

From: Alexander Bibighaus <alexb_at_sig.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:33:00 -0500

Hello everyone,

    Please understand I am new to Oracle. I simply know the basics of SQL.
    I am having to install some other software (Vignette StoryServer) that interacts with Oracle
directly. I had someone else install Oracle for us on our Solaris server. In actuality, all that
was done was a tar -xvf, gzip and ftp of another Oracle 7.3 installation. As expected, I am having a multitude of problems installing StoryServer b/c it can't talk to Oracle. I can go into sqlplus
and do selects. When I do a ps -ef, I get the following:

 oracle   185     1  0   Aug 31 ?        0:02 ora_pmon_story
  oracle   187     1  0   Aug 31 ?        0:04 ora_dbwr_story
  oracle   189     1  0   Aug 31 ?        0:03 ora_lgwr_story
  oracle   191     1  0   Aug 31 ?        0:18 ora_smon_story
  oracle   193     1  0   Aug 31 ?        0:00 ora_reco_story

    My question are as follows. I am very unfamiliar with the installation process of Oracle. Are
we doomed to failure by using an exact duplicate of another installation? Can we just change configuration files? I need to know if I need to go back to that person and say hey "You need to install Oracle correctly,
or you need to do ....". Any help would save me time investigating my problems with Vignette.

thanks a bunch,

alexander Received on Fri Sep 04 1998 - 08:33:00 CDT