Re: Using Set transaction use rollback segment foo

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:16:10 -0400

Hi Allen,

    If you are only using the big rollback segment for a limited number of operations it may be possible to alter it offline when it is not needed. This will require a "wrapper" around your transaction like so,

    ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_big ONLINE;     SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_big;     (transaction code here)
    ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_big OFFLINE;

It isn't guaranteed to work since it is possible that another user might grab the rollback segment between the time it comes online and the set transaction. If this is a concern one way to minimize this possibility is to create several smaller rollback segments and leave them online all of the time.

regards

Jerry