Re: porting to Oracle 8

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:26:41 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Jay Goldberg <jayg_at_iwl.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:12:17 -0500, you wrote:

>We are using OCI calls in Oracle 7.3.2-7.3.4 application. We are tasked
>to make sure
>that the application works under Oracle 8. Does anyone know how hard a
>task this is
>or how compatible the code/binaries/api are between Oracle 7.3.4 and
>Oracle 8?
>
>Thanks
>Jay
>jayg_at_iwl.net

The v7 APIs are fully supported against Oracle8. You can either remain as a v7 client, linked against v7 files and sqlnet and connect over sqlnet to v8 or you can natively compile against v8 with the v7 calls themselves (removing the need to use sqlnet to connect to the database).

I have a rather large application that is written in v7 OCI that i have no intention of recoding at this time. I've run it against v8 both as a v7 client and as a v8 client.

In fact you can mix and match v8 OCI and v7 oci in the same application if you wish.

So -- you don't need to recode and you don't even need to recompile if you don't want to...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Sep 03 1998 - 09:26:41 CDT