oracle odbc driver for rdb

From: Peter Tarbaj <tarby_at_lord.banki.hu>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:03:26 +0200

Hi Folks,

I need some help setting up an oracle odbc driver for rdb. The situation is as follows:

We have a VAX system with OpenVMS 6.2 installed. There are Rdb databases which we would like to access from PCs running MS Windows NT from Excel. SQLSRV$SRV is running on our VAX/VMS system. The network is based on Digital Pathworks (DECNet). There is no TCP/IP installed. So I installed the ODBC driver from Oracle on my NT box. (BTW Pathworks32 V7.0A is installed on the NT system.) I can access the SQL server and the rdb database on the VMS system from Oracle's test query (which came with the ODBC driver package) via DECNet, but when I try it from MS Query (part of MS Office97) it wont work for me. The ODBC driver for Rdb wants to use TCP/IP, and of course cannot find the VMS system which is only accessible via DECNet.
So I need help from someone who experienced such problems before how to set up the driver to use DECNet and not TCP/IP. It is annoying that when I use the Oracle test query it asks about the transport protocol, and when I use this MS thingy it only asks the server name and stuff like that and I cannot set the transport protocol to DECNet. Please answer in private email to one of the following addresses:

tarby_at_freeside.elte.hu
tarby_at_lord.banki.hu

Thank you in advance.

Bye!

Peter Tarbaj Received on Thu Sep 03 1998 - 04:03:26 CDT