problem w/numbers+COBOL

From: <kmcdonald_at_regentsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:47:37 GMT

Using A COBOL program, we are trying to insert data into an Oracle table. We don't have any problem with character fields, but we are running into a problem with numeric fields.

If the field in working storage is declared PIC 9999, it adds extraneous characters to the end of the data, causing Oracle to insert the incorrect data. It only appears to be happening on numbers with leading zeroes. If the field is declared PIC XXXX, it inserts the value correctly.

Has anyone else seen this?
What is going on?