Stupid Newbie question concerning Database Design

From: Walter Hafner <hafner_at_in.tum.de>
Date: 01 Sep 1998 18:14:10 +0200

Hello!

Our department owns a Oracle 7 licence and I was 'chosen' to implement a small database on it. Now, here I am, having no knowledge whatsoever about databases ... Well, my database course in university was about 8 years ago. So I know at least what SQL is about. :-)

However, I need some kind of documentation for newbies. All the data I have to stuff into the database is known, and the application is known also. My task is the design of the database to stuff it all into.

Is there a good book on database design? Some kind of "We hold the screwdriver at the thick end" tutorial? It should not be specific to Oracle. I'd like something that is applicable to mSQL/mySQL/etc. aswell.

Thanks in advance!

-Walter

--

Walter Hafner_______________________________ hafner_at_in.tum.de