create bitmap index syntax

From: Alexander Bisset <a-bisset_at_aberdeen-harbour.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:43:20 +0100

A couple of books I have suggest that bitmap indexes would be useful for my table approx 200,000 rows contains a status field which can take only 4 values and the main value I want to search on has at most 200 records with that value.

Apparently introduced in Oracle 7.3 (which I have running as a single instance on a dual processor netware server) the syntax I am informed is

create bitmap index bm_ship_visits_visit_status on ship_visits(visit_status)
tablespace ind;

this gives an error ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command

on SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.4.0.0
Connected to:
Oracle7 Workgroup Server Release 7.3.2.3.10 - Production Release With the distributed option
PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.10 - Production

Have I got the syntax wrong? Are bitmap indexes only available in a higher release level? Should I have to change some init.ora parameters?

Some relevant(?) init.ora parameters I have set are: b_tree_bitmap_plans = FALSE
bitmap_merge_area_size = 1048576
compatible = 7.3.2.3.10
create_bitmap_area_size = 8388608

Hopefully there is enough info there for someone to assist. Anyone?

Alexander Bisset Received on Tue Sep 01 1998 - 07:43:20 CDT