Re: URGENT! Need help recovering old datafile into new database after disastrous crash

From: Winnie Liu <oracle_dba_at_zdnetmail.com>
Date: 1998/08/31

IF your database failed due to a media failure. You CANNOT simply recover the failed disk and try to recover the database to the point of failure and upgrade your database at the same time!!! If you have not upgrade your database, I believe there is still way to recover your database to the point of failure. But if you have already upgraded your database. I believe you have to recover your database to the last cold backup that you have. Move all the datafiles, controlfiles and redo log files from the last cold backup to it's orginal location. (you can change the location of the controlfiles)

Use the oracle installer under $ORACLE_HOME/bin to update the database object to the correct version. Run the installer under your new 7.3.3 version and then choose the upgrade existing database object option.

I believe you can use back the datafiles, controlfiles and the redo log files. Only remember to put the init.ora file to the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory and edit it accordingly so that it is point to a new controlfile and online redo log file. Then update your database object.

ALso, if you don't want to use the installer, you can run three scripts: CAT7303.SQL, CATALOG.SQL and CATPROC.SQL to update the system dictionary and objects.