Connecting takes a long time

From: Bjoern Ivar Katla <bjorn-ivar.katla_at_nooft.abb.no>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:37:58 +0200

Hi.

We are currently developing a VB application that uses Oracle via ODBC (RDO) and have
very long response time when we try to connect to the Oracle DB. Typically a connection
takes about 7 seconds to establish - which is painfully slow. When running the apps on the
server - there is "no" connection delay at all. VB or ODBC is not the culprit since connecting
using SQL*Net also is slow. We suspect that the problem is somehow related to the network setup. The network is not congested.

The network is Novell. The Oracle DB is run on an NT server (version 7.4).

Anyone got any ideas?

Regards,
Bjoern Ivar Katla Received on Mon Aug 31 1998 - 03:37:58 CDT