Re: Oracle equivalent to unix 'su - username'... connecting as someone else

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/08/30

One can always close your current connection and open a connection.

You cannot normally connect as a user unless you have the password OR you change the password/security system to use external log in.

        You can change to some user    via   'su - username'
        Then connect as that user.

More correctly why do you want to connect as some user? As a dba, there generally is only a few user that I would use. Generally, they are

        sys or internal         -- to do system work
        schema owner(s)        -- the owner of the main schema. Generally if the
DBA is
                                        the maintainer of the database, he/she
has the password.
        user                    -- generally to create the inital password. or
test a problem.

        All work can be done in the sys/internal or the schema owner. Generally, one
does not have to do work on the other users. You can delete or destroy tables, data,
etc.

Mike Krolewski