Re: PeopleTools vs. std. Oracle

From: <psjcoleman_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:13:41 GMT

Data Mover is still considered a PeopleTool. You access Data Mover outside of the Application Designer because you need to use Data Mover to create your installation databases before you ever have access to the other PeopleTools. PeopleSoft considers Data Mover a "universal" query tool. The script syntax you use in Data Mover is platform independent - even the PSCOPY command for Oracle has been removed from Data Mover at release 7.5. In previous releases, you could run some of your DB-specific ALTER and other SQL scripts in Data Mover. This has changed and explains why you started seeing at release 7 the warning in your SQL scripts that the script should be run in your RDBMS query tool.

PeopleSoft does care what platform you are using. This explains the warning to run SQL scripts using your RDBMS platform tool. SQL scripts should be run in your RDBMS tool; DMS scripts should be run in Data Mover. There is some functionality that is specific to your platform and the SQL script you generate in the Application Designer takes this into account.

An example of PeopleSoft creating platform dependent SQL scripts at release 7.5: you can no longer choose what type of SQL Alter you perform during a build. PeopleSoft now makes the choice for you - -- Alter In Place: SQLBASE, INFORMIX, Oracle (if your Oracle table does not have an image or long character field) -- Alter by Table Recreation: DB2 version 4.1 -- Alter by Table Rename: DB2 verion 5.1, DB2/400, DB2/Unix, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle (if your Oracle table has an image or long character field)

You may find using the PeopleSoft tools slower at first - until you become familiar with them, but they are worth considering. Try managing (create table, indexes, alter, views) a test table/view through PeopleTools and then do the same with your tool set. This may be the best way to see what meets your needs.

Jerome