what SQL will find data size used in Database?

From: <nasser_at_apldbio.com>
Date: 1998/08/28

hello,

This is for Oracle and Sybase.
I'am using JDBC to acces database. I'd like to find how much space (in bytes) is used by a row in a table. I can offcourse look at the datasize of each column (from the schema). But for things like strings, I am not sure if the database will reserve the full string size, even if one has half of it used for a particular row.

any ideas on this? is there some SQL trick to count byte size used by a row other than looking at the schema and looking at datatype for each column?

thanks,
Nasser Received on Fri Aug 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT