A pair of questions

From: <arthurk_at_ibm.net>
Date: 29 Aug 1998 03:28:13 GMT

I've looked through the online docs, but have had no success... :-(

My database engine is Oracle 8.0 on an HP UNIX box. I use SQLPLUS 8.0 for for Window NT to connect and execute SQL.

Question 1:

The Sql*Plus menu includes an "Option" topic, which contains one selection "Environment". Choosing this menu selection presents a dialog window that allows one to change many run time options. In this dialog, there are a pair of controls for "Buffer Width" and "buffer length", which affect the characters displayed in the window. Unfortunately, Sql*Plus "forgets" the values I set when I exit the window (that is, I have to reset them EVERYTIME I want to run the program). How can I set them permanently? (I've tried SET WIDTH, but that only acts as an upper bound, without changing the buffer).

Question 2:

Is there a PL/SQL construct (package, procedure function or variable) from which I can determine the name (if any) of my PL/SQL procedure at run time? I know I can create a constant that contains this, but I (unfortunately) am not in a position to dictate this kind of standard to others.

Thanks in advance!

Kurt Arthur
arthurk_at_ibm.net
explicitly set a constant
name of my Received on Fri Aug 28 1998 - 22:28:13 CDT