Distributed Databases

From: <ganesh7838_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:17:23 GMT

I recently installed 2 oracle 8 database on NT server 4.0. both of them are primary domain controllers.

At one site installed i installed RAS and a modem on the NT server.

At another site i installed a modem on win95 node. I configured the node for ethernet controller and dial-up adapter.

i created a alias for first server as dp_orcl on the second server. if i connect to first server in sql plus by saying connect system/manager_at_dp_orcl it works fine.

But if i create a database link using following steps :

create database link dpeth connect to system identified by manager using 'dp_orcl';

and then i log on to second server saying connect system/manager_at_nt_orcl (please note nt_orcl is an alias for second server and i connect using ethernet).

and then i give the following command.
command select * from saleh_at_dp_orcl, it gives me an error that 'tns could not resolve service name'.

Please help, i do not understand what is the problem, tnsping works fine, and ping also works fine.

ganesh singh