Re: Books on Oracle

From: <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:18:04 GMT

In article <35E45BBD.7F4A4013_at_nortel.com>,   Dennis Carrillo <dcarillo_at_nortel.com> wrote:
> I've found two books regarding Personal Oracle and Teach Yourself Oracle
> in 21 days by David Lockman. Are these decent books? If not, are there
> any recommendations on Personal Oracle and/or Oracle7.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis in Dallas

While the title is a little misleading, ORACLE The Complete Reference is a good introductory book. You should be able to get a copy for Oracle 7 cheap. Or get the copy for Oracle 8. I have the Oracle 8 version and it is written by George Koch and Kevin Loney from Osborne (Oracle Press Edition)

I call it misleading because I bought it (mailorder) expecting a REFERENCE manual. Of the 1200+ pages, at best 400 pages are reference material. The rest is an introductory text. I didn't need that, I needed the reference material. The syntax diagrams are lousy, nearly impossible to decode. It does cover a lot of ORACLE (SQL, PL/SQL, SQL Loader, the optimizer) but is is weak in some areas (SQL Loader for example).

The introductory material is good. When I teach another ORACLE training class, I think I may recommend that book to the students. It spends a lot of pages and is most complete on SQL programming.

Bottom line: Good intro. text, only fair reference manual.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.