Re: SQL*PLUS Replacement... please?

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: 1998/08/27

>A relatively new user of Oracle 8.4 (on Solaris), coming in
>as a convert from MySql, I find SQL*PLUS to be very nasty;

Can't argue about that!

> no commandline editing

Well, just type ed to invoke an editor (vi or notepad). There must be something to start with, so you might need to type the word select and hit enter twice, before ed can be used if you want to start from scratch. Note that you can't use ed if the first word is not recognized as an SQL statement. Like: typing sleect instead of select will prevent ed from working. Alternatively, you can use some commands like c to change or a to add text, l to list the current buffer en a numer t jump to a specific line. The asterix shows you what is the current line. It's all in the SQL*Plus guide.

By head:

SQL> l
  1> select my_column
 *2> from my_table;
SQL> 1

  *1> select my_column
SQL> c/my/your/
 *1> select your_column
SQL> l
 *1> select your_column
  2> from my_table;
SQL> /

your_column

Hello world!

> no history being the

No solution for that. Although you might scroll back a bit.

Arjan. Received on Thu Aug 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT