Scheduling Software

From: Dr. Richard MacLennan <maclennr_at_meena.cc.uregina.ca>
Date: 27 Aug 1998 17:33:43 GMT

To All Comp.Databases.Oracle.Misc Readers:

We are looking for scheduling software that can handle the complexities of our problems, and is based upon one of the standard database engines/programming languages such as Oracle/SQL.

Our application is similar to scheduling in educational settings, such as classes, facilities, instructors, etc. It is for use at a police training academy. We require a lot of flexibility with the program, and some of the specific requirements are:

  1. The training curriculum is fairly fixed, spanning a six month period.
  2. The start of training is staggered approximately every two weeks.
  3. Currently the scheduling of facilities is also fairly fixed, to accommodate the above.
  4. In addition to the above basic training program, we also have to accommodate special training on-demand for outside agencies, etc.
  5. Presently we use instructors from assigned areas (such as driving, firearms, etc.). However, we would like to move to a system where all instructors are in a common pool, and they can be drawn based upon their specific skill sets (driving, firearms, etc.) and the demands of the program as needed at any given time.
  6. We need to be able to codify instructors skills down to the level of the specific classes that they are qualified to teach (such as using the skid car in driver training).
  7. We should be able to match instructors skills with the classes that are needed, and then tell them what class has to be taught when.
  8. Although the basic training program is fairly fixed, all of the above has to have enough flexibility to accommodate on-demand courses as they pop-up.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who may be able to identify a scheduling program that can meet the above requirements, and of course is easy to use.

Thanks! Richard MacLennan maclennr_at_meena.cc.uregina.ca Received on Thu Aug 27 1998 - 12:33:43 CDT