Re: Learning DBA skills

From: Reg Burgesss <defaultuser_at_domain.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:07:20 -0400

rodgerl_at_escape.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently, I am working as a programmer,
> using Oracle 7.2.3 on AIX 4.1.
> I want to learn how to become a DBA.
>
> It has been suggested to me that I use Oracle on my
> personal machine at home, and practice the DBA stuff.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Will Personal Oracle allow me to do this type of thing?

Yes, that is to say it won't do anything to prevent you from performing DBA tasks, but it won't "Actively" make you practice them either.DBA skills get "practiced" by responding to user requests for access, more space, better performance, and of course... disaster recovery. If you are imaginative enough you can probably simulate such needs from imaginary users.

> 2) Is there anything else that I should know about?
> ie. Learning CDs, etc. Other programs or software (Sybase), etc,

There are Oracle courses at around $400 per student day for instructor led.There is the Oracle education channel. There is a series of books from Osborne press.

etc., etc.

The above views and opinions are my own and may not represent those of my employer, etc.

regards,

Reg