Re: Oracle/JDBC through Gauntlet Firewall

From: Andreas Huber <andreas.huber_at_aua.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:26:19 +0200

For the thin drivers to work you need to accomplish a numer of things: - they need privilege to connect from the client (an issue with Applet Security if the web server is different from the Oracle server) --> you will get some sort of Applet Security exception if your Applet does not have such privilege
- they need to be able to connect thru the firewall inbound. Default port used is 1521. If this port is closed - no Oracle outside - remember thin drivers do not use SQL*NET client configuration. URL looks something like jdbc:oracle:thin:@myserver:1521:orcl, *not* jdbc:oracle:thin:@mylocalalias
- you need to provide for proper domain name resolution, i.e. your client out in the world shoud know that myserver is behind your firewall. Else use numeric IP addresses.

Hope this helps

Andreas