Re: Problems connecting to Oracle with NT serive

From: Harry Mudd <harry.mudd_at_muscle.net>
Date: 1998/08/26

I usually work in the HP-UX enviroment so I may be totally off base.....

All of the 12000 series errors that I've encountered have been related to a file called TNSNAMES.ORA under
ORACLE_HOME (which I believe is orawin/network/admin for the NT client) TNSNAMES defines the connections to the
listener process on the server. These errors can also be caused if the listener has not been started properly,
or if the LISTENER.ORA (orant/network/admin) file is not set up properly on the server.

In the unix enviroment, and based on limited experimentation in the NT enviroment, both files are text files, and are relatively easy to understand.

However, if I've totally misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish or I'm totally off base since I'm not very familar with the NT enviroment, my apologies and best wishes on your search.