Re: newbe help please

From: Mark McHugh <mchugh.mark.ma_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 27 Aug 1998 02:04:22 GMT

me also too. Are you logging on to SQLplus using the PC client program or directly on your server ?

If on my pc client sqlplus program, the error you described:

ERROR: ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed

comes up when I don't put in the host string - ie, when the log on dialogue box comes up, I have to type in a username, password and a host string. In my case that is either DIDD is DIDS, the two database instances on our Oracle server. If Oracle client has been installed properly on your PC, these should have been defined in a file called tnsnames.ora on your PC. On mine it looks like this :

dids.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcpcom.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = scwudids.scpdwol.bhp.com.au)
(Port = 1525)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = dids)
       (GLOBAL_NAME = dids.world)

    )
  )

didd.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcpcom.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = scwudids.scpdwol.bhp.com.au)
(Port = 1525)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = didd)
       (GLOBAL_NAME = didd.world)

    )
  )

If you are logging on to sqlplus when you are logged on directly to the server, you have to type something like

sqlplus userid/passwd_at_instance

where in my case, instance is didd or dids. Alternatively you can leave out the @instance part if the instance name is defined in an environment variable. I have it set in my .profile (UNIX) by export ORACLE_SID=didd

hope this helps,
Mark.

fred <schmerd_at_primenet.com> wrote in article <01bdce4e$2e3a8540$c817a5ce_at_jim>...