Oracle Licensing Issues

From: Kevin Skelton <kevin_skelton_at_mgic.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:58:53 -0500

Hi, I have a question regarding Oracle's concurrent pricing. We are being told by Oracle that any application which in any small way touches an oracle database (via lookups, validations, etc...) is considered a concurrent connection.

This creates a huge problem for our Internet applications. Oracle is trying to rake us over the coals for potential users of the Internet using our application, even if a simple lookup is performed and no constant connection is maintained. Think about the millions of potential users we could have. DB2 and SQlServer do not have such strict pricing issues and are looking better all the time. Oracle appears to be dying in my company.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Different?

Thanks,
Kevin Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 10:58:53 CDT