Re: New to Oracle... Help!

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 26 Aug 1998 13:45:32 GMT

In article <35E34105.90A7268B_at_ibm.net>, Gianfranco Giometti <giometti_at_ibm.net> wrote:
>Up to yesterday I was an "Access-guy", but I just found out that I will
>be taking lots of Oracle this year (I am actually very excited) and
>would like to know what are the hardware requirements for Oracle and
>which version is best to start with.... I have a P133 laptop with 40MB
>RAM and a hard drive with 1.4G of which about 360MB free (for now, but I
>can free more) on Win95.. can I do it? or should I consider buying a
>desktop?!!

Personal Oracle for Win95 v7 will run on fine on the P133 as you describe the configuration. However, if you want to add development tools, you will need to add some disk space and perhaps (depending on the tools) some RAM. If you want to do Oracle8, you will certainly need a more robust machine, and NT is definitely preferable in the Oracle8 environment. However, for learning basic Oracle SQL and database administration skills, PO7 is quite good.

Good luck.

--

Jack F. Love
Opinions expressed are mine alone, unless you happen to agree Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 08:45:32 CDT