Re: Oracle vs MS SQL Server

From: bjohnsto_usa_net <bjohnsto_usa_net_at_dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/08/25

You can get Oracle to send you a demo CD for about $5 which may save you some download time.

Oracle forces you to do more work up front thinking about how big your tables are going to get. SQL server lets you defer these kind of decisions. Oracle seems to be optimised to be more labor intensive. SQL server is optimised to let you be sloppy, at the cost of some loss of control, and efficiency. There are some mechanisms to help you reserve space for tables, but you have to go out of your way and they seem less natural.

The bundled Microsoft front end tools stand out as so far above the competition that the comparison is literally a joke.

Overall cycles are cheaper than programmers so Microsoft is on a good thing.

Except that I have such poor experience with Microsoft support I would consider their product very seriously. Since they are quite happy to ignore bugs in their products which are impacting a customer for and number of years and releases I would avoid them for crucial systems. They have such an enormous customer base they can't keep them all happy.

None of the major databases fully support ANSI SQL92 fully. Even if they did, the standard has enough missing features that people would legitimately want to use proprietory extensions anyway. All pretty sad really.

Brendan Johnston Received on Tue Aug 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT