Re: Personal Oracle 0n NT. Changing database Name.

From: Charles M <charlesm1NOSPAM_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:29:42 -0500

In article <35E1A6FF.30284FC4_at_janjua.demon.co.uk>, aamer_at_janjua.demon.co.uk says...
> Hi All
>
> I have installed Personal Oracle on NT 4 . I want to change the name
> of Default database (ORCL) . I have done by using create Control file
> method. There is a problem. In Windows NT A service By name of ORCL was
> created and starts at run time. I want to get rid of this service and
> wants to start service of my own Choice.
> Is it possible.? If so then HOW please help..
>
> Thanks
>
> AAJ

You need to change the ORACLE_SID in the registry. Go the the following location in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE] and edit ORACLE_SID to your new SID. One note: Nav8 (the Oracle navigator is hard coded with tablespace names like USER_DATA (and others - check properties on your local database to see the tablespace names under one of the tabs on the properties window). If your new database has different tablespace names, Nav8 won't like it, although other programs should run fine with the new SID. You can also use Net8 with a 'bequest' type connection to still use the nornal ORCL SID and connect to the new database under its SID. Received on Mon Aug 24 1998 - 23:29:42 CDT